What category of vehicle, as defined in the Community directive, is a vehicle which has a maximum mass exceeding 12,000kg?
A defect which does not materially affect the safety of a vehicle, or affect the environment is classified as what?
- A MINOR defect
- A MAJOR defect
- No defect
- A DANGEROUS defect
How should seat belt release mechanisms be checked?
- With it fastened around a person to see if it fits.
- Just press it to see if it un-fastens.
- Only check the webbing condition.
- It should release under tension, pulling on it.
In the cab, which of these is not a testable item?
- The radio works.
- Anti-slip pedal rubbers are intact.
- The driver has an unobstructed view of the road.
- The main beam warning light works.
When carrying out exhaust emissions test on a CI (Diesel) engine, what is being measured?
- Carbon Monoxide (CO)
- Oxygen (O2)
- Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx)
How can an ispector check that the load rating of a tyre is sufficient?
- If the tyre is the correct size, the rating is automatically correct.
- Look at the VTG plate for the axle rating, and check the rating in the MOT manual
- Contact the manufacturer and ask
- Look in the technical service specification book
When inspecting & checking / tapping wheel nuts, what is being looked for?
- Loose wheel nuts
- Loose wheel nuts and cracked washers
- Loose wheel nuts, cracked washers and cracks or damage to the wheel
- Loose wheel nuts and cracked washers and the correct colour indicator devices
A tyre is marked FRT. Where can it be fitted?
- Anywhere except a drive axle.
- On trailers only
- Drive axles only
A tyre is marked 295/80 R 22.5. What is the meaning of '295'?
- Speed rating
Which of these signifies the speed rating of a tyre?
What is the minimum tread depth allowed on an HGV tyre?
- 1.6 mm in the central 3/4 .
- 1.6 mm in the central 3/4 of its width in a continuous band around the tyre.
- 1.0 mm over any 3/4 of its breadth in a continuous band around the tyre.
- 1.6 mm over any 3/4 of its breadth in a continuous band around the tyre.
What standards are given in the MOT inspection manual?
- The manufacturers minimum wear limits.
- The minimum or worst possible standards as stated by the DVSA to avoid prosecution.
- The highest standards to ensure safety.
- Guidance for poor mechanics.
Unless exempt, what is the maximum permissable height of spray suppression (mudflaps) from the road, on a vehicle fitted with leaf spring read suspension?
How clogged up can spray suppression be before it would fail an MOT inspection?
- Over 10%
- Over 20%
- Over 25%
- Over 50%
Close proximity and front mirrors must be at least what distance from the ground?
- 1.8 m
- 2.0 m
- 2.2 m
- 2.5 m
A Tachograph seal is missing, what category of defect is this?
When printing off Technical Data from the tachograph, what must be checked and correspond to the vehicle?
- The W factor, front tyre size, VIN & Calibration Date
- Registration number, the W factor, VIN and rear tyre size
- The K factor, VIN, Drive axle tyre size and W factor
- The K factor, VIN, Drive axle tyre size and calibration date
When checking steering ball joint play, how should the vehicle be set up?
- On the floor with the engine running, with someone shaking the steering for you
- With the axle raised to take the load off, engine stopped, with someone shaking the steering for you
- On the floor with the axle raised and engine stopped, with someone shaking the steering for you
- Feel for play in the steering wheel from the cab, over 100mm is a fail
The power steering system has a very slight weep or leak of fluid from a hydraulic connection, which of the following categories is correct
How should air pressure build up time be measured on a vehicle fitted with air brakes?
- Maximim 3 minutes from when the guage says minimum service level, to maximum pressure reached.
- Minimum 6 minutes from fully depleted to maximum pressure
- Maximum 3 minutes from nearly depleted to maximum pressure (6 bar)
- Maximum 3 minutes from fully depleted to the minimum service level
A brake pedal pivot is found to be tight in operation. What, if any, defect would this be?
- No defect
- Minor defect
- Major defect
What colour are the high voltage cables on electric or hybrid vehicles?
Is it acceptable to have anti roll bar bushes repaired with resin if it removes the excess wear adequately?
- It depends
You find an air bag on a suspension system and you can see the structural cords, however, they are not damaged. What is the category of defect?
You find a ball joint rubber gaiter deteriorated, but not yet holed. What is the category of defect, if any?
- Not a defect
When checking dampers, which of these would be a fail?
- An oil leak forms a drip on the bottom
- The piston rod shield is corroded but not insecure
- They are not a matched pair on one axle
- The mounting bolt heads are rusty
You find play in one front hub, and in order to determine if it is wheel bearing or king pin, what test can be done?
- Lever from the bottom of the tyre to feel for the play and make a judgement
- Place a feeler gauge in the top of the king pin bush when the axle is lifted
- Spin the wheel and listen. If it is wheel bearing you will hear it. If no noise, it is king pin
- Get a colleague to press the brake pedal, and if the play goes, it must be the king pin
What is the maximum size (width or depth) of crack allowed in a brake disc under DVSA standards?
Under what condition best to check brake hydraulic or air hoses?
- With the brakes on and the hose under pressure
- With no pressure in the system allowing flex
- During a skid test
- When they are cold and tanks empty
You find rear marker boards or conspicuity tape obscured by dirt at about 20% of its size. What is the correct defect?
- Pass. It is not obligatory
- Major. Obscured over 10% is a major defect
- Minor. If it still visible it is OK
- Dangerous. It is a safety item and must all be visible
If a vehicle is fitted with a transmission brake, what state should it be in when checking the transmission?
- Firmly on, and vehicle in gear
- Transmission brake off, and vehicle in neutral gear
- Transmission brake on and vehicle in neutral
- Transmission brake off, engine running, in gear with clutch pedal down
You find the tacho seal missing from the back of a gearbox, what, if any, is the category of defect?
- No defect
- Minor defect
- Major defect
- Dangerous defect
Under what conditions should hazard lights operate?
- Just with the ignition switched off
- When the doors are locked and the alarm on
- Under all conditions, ignition on and off
- When the engine is not running
If a headlamp has condensation inside the lens, that may cause the pattern to be blurred, what, if any, is the defect?
- None, it will dry out when the light is on
- Minor, it will dry out when the light is on
What are the minimum brake performance percentages allowed for an HGV?
- Parking, 10%
- Parking, 12%
- Parking, 16%
- Parking, 10%