(General) What is the meaning of the word 'Obligatory'?
- Fitted by the factory
- Aftermarket fitting
- Required by law
- Not necessary
(General). Which of these defect categories describes a defect which has no immediate impact on the environment or safety of the trailer?
(General) Which parts of a trailer need NOT be checked, as the MOT tester might not check it?
- The wiring along the chassis underneath.
- Security and corrosion of pneumatic brake lines
- Wheel bearing play
- The colour scheme and company logo
(General) If there was a competition between you and the MOT tester, who would find the most defects on a trailer? You have 2 hours to check a trailer, the MOT man has 30 mins.
- The MOT tester
- A draw (both the same)
- You double check and two persons check it
(General) What standards are set by the MOT testers manual?
- The best standards
- Manufacturer's standards
- The highest standards
- The minimum legal standards
(General) The best way to improve the accuracy of a PMI inspection is to have what?
- A cup of tea or coffee first
- All day to do it
- The threat of the sack if you miss something
- A good, well practiced & comprehensive inspection routine using correct methods
(06 Wheels & Hubs) When inspecting a wheel, which is the best description of what defects are being looked for?
- Loose wheel nuts or studs
- Cracks in the wheel, & loose wheel nuts or studs
- Loose wheel nuts or studs, wheel damage, the size of the wheel
- Loose wheel nuts or studs, cracked nut washers, wheel condition for buckles and cracks.
(06. Road Wheels & Hubs) A wheel nut can be considered loose if
- it is torqued up incorrectly.
- it is not obviously carrying out its function of clamping the wheel to the hub.
- you cannot tighten it any more with an air gun.
- it has the threads oiled or greased
(07 Size & type of tyres) Which of these answers shows the highest speed rating?
- 148/142 K
(07 Size & Type of Tyre) What is the meaning of FRT marked on the sidewall of a tyre?
- Front fitment only.
- Steer Axle only
- Not suitable for a driven axle
- Trailer use only
(07 Size & Type of Tyre) Which of these is the load index on a tyre?
(07 Size & Type of Tyre) A tyre has the following marking, 150/144, what does it mean?
- As a twin set up, it has a load rating of 144
- As a single the load rating is 144
- Capable of 150kph
- Date of manufacture code
(07 Size & Type of Tyre) Which statement is correct? A tyre on a trailer with the direction of rotation arrow pointing in thye wrong direction
- Is a Dangerous defect
- A minor defect
- No defect
(07 Size & Type of Tyre) How can you be certain that the load rating of a tyre is sufficient for the trailer it is on?
- Check the handbook
- Look at the axle rating on the trailer and look load index in the MOT manual at the chart
- Look at the axle rating on the trailer and see if the load index matches the others
- All tyres have a sufficient load rating, so you do not need to check
(07 Size & Type of Tyre) A tyre's load rating looks too low for the vehicle, and so it is an MOT fail. What is the best way to check it?
- Note the load rating on the tyre, single or twin set up, look up in a chart (from the MOT manual) and compare with VTG plate for the axle
- You can phone the tyre fitter or manufacturer and ask
- The maximum axle weight is stamped on the side of the tyre, easy!
- Ask someone at work who knows.
(08 Condition of Tyres) What are the minimum tread depth reqiurements of a trailer tyre?
- 1.6mm across central 3/4
- 1mm across central 3/4
- 1mm across any 3/4 of the width, and in continuous band
(08 Condition of Tyres) Which of these cuts to a tyre is OK and would NOT fail an MOT test?
- A cut less than 25mm down to the cords, but you cannot see them
- Any cut which makes a tread block likely to seperate.
- A cut over 25mm down to the cords, but you cannot see them
- A long cut over 25mm, but not deep enough to reach the cords
(08 Condition of Tyres) How much of each tyre must be inspected?
- Every inch externally, ie, all of it
- The tread for depth and pattern
- Only the sidewalls
- Only the bits you can see easily without lying down ( H&S )
(08 Condition of Tyres) Over how much of the tyres width must the tread be checked? (Read carefully!)
- Any 3/4
- The central 3/4
- All of it
- The outer shoulders
(09 Sideguards, Rear Under-Run Devices & Bumper Bars) Which of these would be a defect?
- Rear under-run bar plastic ends missing
- Side guards rails too close together horizontally, (less than 100mm)
- Side guards securely fitted
- Rear under-run bar ends missing and exposing sharp edges
(09 Sideguards, Rear Under-Run Devices & Bumper Bars) What defect category is a sideguard which is 'insecure'?
- Advisory. Tighten it up
- Minor. Tighten it up
(10 Spare Wheel & Carrier ) What might be a major or dangerous defect with a spare wheel.
- Incorrect colour
- Incorrect size
- Insecure so it may become detached
- Not in proper condition
(11 Vehicle to Trailer Coupling ) What is the maximum wear allowed on the coupling king pin?
- No wear at all
- When tractor rocks back and forth, no perceptable wear at all
- When it has worn to 3/4 of the original
- Up to 2mm
(11 Vehicle to Trailer Coupling ) What should happen if the emergency (red) airline is disconnected from the towing vehicle?
- Only on multi axle trailers, the forward axle brakes are applied
- The trailer park brake can be set to 'Park'
- The emergency brake should apply automatically
- The trailer brakes are off and released
(13 Trailer Landing Legs) Which of the following is a defect on a landing leg?
- A missing landing leg
- An insecure leg or parts on it that may fall off
- No landing legs at all
- No means of lowering or raising the leg (handle missing)
(14 Spray Suppression, Wings and Wheel Arches) Which of these trailers does not require to have wings?
- A trailer adapted to carry round timber
- A trailer over 10 metres long
- A trailer designed to carry light goods, such as toilet rolls.
- A solid floor curtain-sider
(14 Spray Suppression, Wings and Wheel Arches) What is the default minimum mudflap height from the road to the lowest part?
(14 Spray Suppression, Wings and Wheel Arches) How much of a post April 1st 2000 trailer tyre's width must be covered by the spray suppression when viewed from the rear?
- The whole width
- The tread width, excluding sidewall
- 3/4 of the tyres width
(20 Condition of Body) Which of the following is NOT an MOT defect which would cause an MOT failure on a trailer?
- Superficial damage
- Serious damage, but not loose.
- Inappropriate modification
- Insecure or fractured part
(38 Service Brake Operation) You are preparing an old trailer for an MOT and not sure if it requires ABS. How can you find out?
- It will say on the VTG plate
- If it should have ABS, it will be fitted and have the connection plug
- Ask a friend or colleague
- There is detailed information in the MOT manual, section 38
(41 Condition of Chassis) When checking a chassis for corrosion, what is the measure of a deficiency?
- Where corrosion has discoloured the paintwork
- Any rust on a load bearing structure is a defect
- Where the load bearing component's strength is weakened by the corrosion
- When you can dent it easily with a tapping hammer